Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day Two pt. 1 - The New Normal


Sunday, June 10, 2012:   We awake to sun blaring through the window and the banging of the blinds due to the healthy breeze. It’s 6:45, and there’s no point in going back to sleep.  Put the coffee on, and hit the beach for a quick photo shoot,

 and an exploration of the tidal pools.  Then, coffee and bagels on the porch, and writing as the weather decides what it’s going to do. After changing its mind about 30 times in an hour, it’s apparently decided on hot, sunny, and breezy.  Time to explore the deserted beach to the north!


Back from the beach walk. We probably walked three miles and saw not a soul all morning. Krista keeps saying “How is there NOBODY here?!?!”  Lots of cool tidal pools and rock formations. The beaches aren’t groomed, so there’s a small amount of man-made ocean debris. Plastic is a pretty evil invention.  Hard hats? Why did we see hard hats washed up on shore? Not sure I want to know the answer to that one.  I literally took the plunge and did some light snorkeling. The moment I got in, I was greeted by a half-dozen breakfast-plate sized angel fish, just seeing what I was up to.   The tide was coming in and was pretty rough, so I resumed walking fairly quickly. Then, back closer to home, I got a little braver, and let myself drift out over a reef a little ways from shore, and I found myself in a grotto of rock pillars and brain coral, and saw at least ten different types of colorful fish, ranging from minnow-sized, to 10-12 inches long.  When the weather calms down, I’ll have to re-visit that spot.

This afternoon, off to the library, island farm, and a little sight-seeing by car! Then, dinner at home, then to Cocodimama’s for a sunset cocktail.


1 comment: