Saturday, June 16, 2012

But First...We Dance!!!


Day Eight

I don’t think I’ve ever danced that much in my life.

The Friday night fish fry in Governor's Harbour is a heck of a street party.  We wound up having to finish posting at “Da Perk,” as the connection at Sunset Inn was virtually non-existent.  Beautiful place for a Kalik, but not so hot for blogging.  By the way, if you’re ever interested, “Da Perk” has the fastest wi-fi connection of any place we found other than GHB airport.

We could hear the music thumping and smell the grill from all the way over at Sunset Inn, and the party was in full swing by the time we parked at Haynes Library. Almost immediately, we were found in the "Rum Bubbas" line by fellow Eleuthera Forum member, (and fellow blues harp player) Sammy and his wife, Lynnelle (sp? Sorry. Forgot to ask) from Atlanta.   

We were happy to have their company as we loaded up on the requisite fuel of Rum Bubbas and “fried” fish.  (all proceeds go to the Governor's Harbour community fund) 

 Krista and I even FINALLY got brave enough to try Conch Salad – a mixture of fresh, raw conch, onion, tomatoes, celery, green and hot peppers, lime juice, and dressing – all prepared from scratch and chopped right in front of you on a table by the beach.

We needed the fuel to join the dance party in the street.

VIDEO: See Krista Dance!  Fish Fry Dancing

Now, I’m not much of a dancer.  OK, I actually don’t like to dance, but I married a dancing queen, and nothing could keep Kentucky Krista from kicking off her sandals and getting down in the middle of the road.

I also realized very quickly that if I left her alone for an instant, she would be whisked away by some older, charming, (if a bit “handsy” and forward) Bahamian gentleman crooning along to songs like “I Wanna See What Your Wife Can Do.”   Ahem! We whirled and twirled to ‘80s music, then Bahamian dance hall hits, and eventually the music shifted to hip hop.

So, out of necessity, and rum, and why the hell not, I danced until well after 11 pm.  I finally dragged Krista home, where we collapsed and slept fitfully, partly due to anticipation to travel in the morning, and partly due to a recent invasion of REALLY ANNOYING flying bugs in our bedroom.

In the morning, Krista was up with the sunrise for a final beach sunrise photo shoot.

We packed, said goodbye to Oceanaire, and had a lovely breakfast at Sky Beach Bistro.

So here we sit in the crowded waiting room at Governor’s Harbour Airport, waiting for our flight.   I imagine I’ll reflect on this trip in many different ways in the days to come, but here’s something I’ve already processed:

This trip was the first time Krista and I went anywhere just the two of us since our honeymoon in October of 1996. The whole point was to just be together, in a beautiful place, away from the real world for a week. And yet, I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive:  Without the kids, and work, and the daily household issues and tasks, what would we talk about for an entire week?   I needn’t have worried, though, because I should have reminded myself that I was not only going away with my wife, I was travelling with my best friend.  She can read my mind, for starters, which always disturbs the heck out of me, and more importantly, I don’t ever remember laughing as much together as we did this trip. We frolicked like kids, and gazed in awe of the beauty of Eleuthera, but what I think I’ll treasure most is our laughter. Krista’s laugh has always been a gift to me, and I always have felt honored and humbled to have ever been the cause of it. I got more than my fill this trip. This is something that I’ll treasure the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. So, how did you like the conch salad? I can't get enough of it! Hope you get to come back one day. Maybe when the kids graduate from college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading all I can about eleuthera and stumbled onto your blog. Actually, we were there at the same time in June! AND we are in some of your photos at the friday fish fry! After a few bubbas we were dancing in the street too!

    ReplyDelete